Monday, May 4, 2009

Do it yourself or bust.

So, I have taken on the overwhelming task of making my home look like new, even though it is almost 6 years old I think. This all happened when Hayden was playing on the floor in the living room and blended in. The carpet was disgusting. After looking at the carpet under my couch to make sure it wasn't just me, I was shocked...The carpet that had never seen daylight was a nice creamy beige color, the carpet that we all could see was well, here it was pink, there it was black, over there it was an indiscernible color, etc. After talking to my husband, we decided that it was time to replace it. His birthday is this week and we thought we could use the money he gets from my parents, his parents, and me and put it towards *NEW* carpet. This was the choice that caused my downfall. We picked out a nice dark brown *chestnut* carpet, it was my bishop's suggestion, he does carpet. It is lovely. After the price quote David and I thought it would be best to pull out the old carpet ourselves and save some money. Well, I had wanted new paint downstairs since I had moved in, and when we had no carpet...or were trashing what we had, I thought it was the perfect time to paint. But what color(s)? I have red and orange decorations, a sage green couch, black furniture, light sage speckled counters, and a white mantle. This made for an interesting task of picking a color to match everything and I don't like plain at all, so I had to find several colors that coordinated with all those things as well as each other, YA ME! The hardest color to find was red, I wanted an accent wall in red to match my red bathroom, but after 6 places I couldn't find one so I gave up for now. I also was having a hard time finding paint that was neutral and fun. I went to all the regular places and then took a friend's advice and went to Restoration Hardware in Trolley Square. There I picked Sycamore Grove (green) for the kitchen and the wall leading out of the kitchen into the living room and Saffron (a yellow with brown tones) in the rest of the living room and entry way. I did eventually find a red for the fireplace wall, and after 6 coats it looked good.

Well, as I am sure all of you with children can sympathize, painting with a toddler is not an easy task. I tried to keep Hayden occupied as best I could, I hired babysitters and played the TV non stop, but this only worked on the even minutes. While I was painting the wall red, Hayden announced that he wanted to help me. I gave him a toy bucket and duster and told him to paint the green wall again. He was excited and I thought occupied for a while, so I let all my attention focus on the wall. Well, I looked up to find all my outlets untapped and painted bright red. Yikes. I tried to peel off the paint, but on a standard light switch it was impossible. This gave me a new idea, I always wanted the sleeker smooth switches, so I decided to go to Home Depot and buy some to do myself. This would save money I was sure. So 16 trips and 18 hours later, I have 2 switches wired right. 2 out of 10. 1/5th. I am under the impression that the builder had no clue what he was doing, because all the switches are wired a different way. I wonder how this house passed code. LOL. Well, when David get's home from work I will have him sit in the basement and flick the breaker on and off after each switch, that will save me time from running up and down stairs. UGH I need a vacation.

I cannot wait until Wednesday when I get new carpet and can put my living room back together completely, this place is a mess. Two more days...I can do it. Since it will take me that long to finish it all.

I just don't know what I am going to do after I get all of this done.

No comments: